Chile-University of California Partnership

Frequently Asked Questions: UC - Chile Scholarship Program for Chilean Students

1. What do the Chilean Bicentennial Fund for Human Capital Development scholarships provide?

  • Funds for English language training courses in Chile for scholarship holders who do not meet the language entrance requirements established by the relevant UC campuses; such students may be admitted provisionally to the UC, based on policies established by individual campuses.
  • Annual grants to cover living expenses while enrolled in a UC postgraduate program. The grants will cover up to two successive years of study for grantees pursuing a master’s degree, and up to four successive years of study for doctoral students.
  • Tuition and fees for those students who are not granted financial awards from UC campuses where they intend to enroll. Each UC campus will have the discretion to determine financial support and assistance provisions.
  • One roundtrip economy air ticket for each grantee and his/her spouse from Chile to the corresponding destination in California.
  • Coverage of grantee’s and/or their dependent’s additional expenses that the Chilean Government may deem necessary.
  • Coverage of appropriate medical insurance costs as required by current USA international student visa regulations.
  • Monthly allowance for up to four months to those grantees who enroll full time in UC-affiliated English Language courses in California prior to the start of their UC graduate program.

2. Which UC campuses does the program cover?
The program covers each of the ten campuses of the UC system: Berkeley, Davis, Irvine, Los Angeles, Merced, Riverside, San Diego, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, and Santa Cruz. To increase the chances of gaining admission, we strongly encourage you to apply to multiple UC campuses and programs.

3. Where can I obtain information about the ten University of California (UC) campuses?
Information about the 10 UC campuses, academic departments, and graduate programs is available at the following UC website:

4. Why should I choose the UC over any other US institution of higher education?
UC offers a vast number of graduate programs at all ten campuses. It is also internationally recognized as one of the finest university systems and draws graduate students from all over the world. UC awards nearly ten percent of all Ph.D. degrees in the United States. The UC provides a quality education, the opportunity to work with award-winning faculty members (including Nobel Prize winners), and a diverse academic community.

5. Which campus offers the best graduate programs?
All ten campuses have a number of top-ranked graduate programs and the majority rank among the top schools nationwide. You must research each campus and academic program to find the programs that fit your academic needs and research interests. For information about the graduate programs available at each campus, consult the website:

6. I am interested in obtaining a doctoral degree. Can you send me information about a specific graduate program?
To obtain detailed information about any UC graduate program, we recommend you visit the following UC website:
UC also offers a publication, "Continue the Journey," that provides general information about the ten UC campuses, and a list of the UC graduate programs at each campus (pgs. 30-36). The publication is available online at:

7. Where can I find the application for admission to the UC?
UC admission applications are available online on each UC campus website. If you are applying to more than one campus, you will need to complete an application for each campus. See for more information.

8. What are the UC graduate admission requirements, and how do I apply?
The requirements can vary among departments and campuses. It is important to consult specific UC campus and departmental websites. However, there are certain requirements that exist at all UC campuses and departments:

  1. UC admissions application
  2. Statement of purpose
  3. Three letters of recommendation
  4. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam - see below for more information.
  5. Official transcripts

9. What exams must I take? How do I arrange to take these exams, and what are the minimum scores?
Most departments and campuses will require that you take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE), and either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam. Some departments may also require that you take the GRE Subject Test. Consult the department website for additional information.

You should give yourself enough time to prepare for both exams with the goal of taking the test a year before you intend to begin your graduate studies. However, December is usually the final opportunity to take the exams because graduate admissions must receive exam results before the application deadline.

The minimum score for these exams varies for each campus and department. Consult the departmental website to which you are applying for the minimum required scores.

10. What if I do not have the minimum TOEFL, IELTS or GRE score requirement? Can I still apply?
If you do not have the minimum TOEFL, IELTS or GRE score, you may still apply. The evaluation review committees not only take into consideration exam scores, but also factors such as GPA, recommendation letters, and the statement of purpose. If you are not satisfied with your exam results and have time to take the exam again, you may do so. However, some UC departments will average your scores, whereas others view them independently, so it is important to check with the specific program. Some applicants may be admitted provisionally to the UC, based on policies established by individual campuses.

11. May I apply to more than one UC campus or one academic graduate program?
You should apply to more than one UC campus and program. Although you may prefer a particular UC campus or program, applying to more than one increases your chances of gaining admission.

12. How much is the application fee at UC?
Application fees vary among the campuses. You will need to confirm the application fees on each campus’s website.

13. When should I start the UC application process? What is the deadline?
For the 2010 – 2011 academic year, start to apply for admissions to the UC programs of interest in November 2009. The deadlines to submit an admission application to UC vary among campuses and departments, but generally range between December and March. We strongly recommend that you consult the campus and departmental websites for the exact deadlines. As an international applicant, we also suggest submitting your application before the deadline.

14. If I miss the UC deadline, can I still apply for admissions to a graduate program?
It will depend on the campus and department. Some departments receive many applications for admission and do not allow applicants to submit late applications. However, other departments allow applicants to apply for admission later than the deadline. Contact the department for additional information.

15. Do I need a UC sponsor to study in a doctoral program?
No, you do not need a sponsor to study at the UC. However, it may be helpful to contact a faculty member and/or investigator in the department to which you are applying to discuss your interest because they may be able to help with the application and ensure that it receives careful attention during the evaluation process. Contact with faculty also helps you determine whether a particular program is the best program for your academic needs and goals.

16. When do UC campuses mail out acceptance letters?
The graduate admissions office on each campus begins to mail acceptance letters as early as January, however, acceptance letters can be sent as late as June.

17. I was admitted to the UC and must obtain a visa. Whom may I contact regarding visa questions?
Contact the UC academic department to which you were admitted or the International Students and Scholars Office at the UC campus you will attend. Click on the links below for International Students and Scholars Office contact information on each campus.

Berkeley / Davis / Irvine / Los Angeles / Merced /

Riverside /San Diego / Santa Barbara / San Francisco /Santa Cruz